“Some acreage deeds were signed by both Taney and Digges; some just by Taney with acknowledgment/agreement by his wife Eleanor (Digges ) Taney. Actually, it was Eleanor's inheritance from her father and brothers that provided Taney with the original interest in the land, but married women could only hold title through their husbands, so it became Taneytown instead of Diggestown.” Read more.
10 York Street (also know as the Baumgardner House)
On a map dated 1862, the property is identified as the Presbyterian Church parsonage. It consisted of the stone building, used for a laundry and bakery, and the existing kitchen and second floor. This section was built in 1848 by the Rev. John G. Wolff. It is believed that that stone structure is older, possibly dating back to the 1700s.
The local Presbyterian congregation, now known as Taneytown Presbyterian Church, was chartered in 1828 by the Rev. Austin Hubbard in the Baltimore Presbytery. The church, built in 1883, is still located at 30 York St.
According to an 1882 history of Carroll County, church pastor the Rev. James Williamson signed over the “house and lot in Taneytown” to church elders Rogers Birnie and Phillip Hann in 1853.
In 1870 the Presbytery of Baltimore decided to sell the property and on April 1, 1871, Mr. Thomas Rudisel became the owner of 10 York Street.
After Rudisel purchased the parsonage property, he deeded it his sister and her husband. Married on June 3, 1869, Dr. George T. Motter and Mrs. Mary Louise (Rudisel) Motter built the Georgian-style home that still stands today onto the pre-existing structure. The home was clearly built in stages, with the original stone structure and rear two-story kitchen/room still in use.
Upon Dr. Motter's death in 1903, ownership seems to have transferred to his daughter Anna and her husband, F.E. Cunningham. Some documents report that the house was sold by George's grandson, George Motter Cunningham, to George Walter Wilt (1875-1933), a local businessman and Dr. Motter’s fellow Birnie Bank board member.
10 York Street remained in the Wilt-Baumgardner family for more than 100 years. Wilt married Mary Blanche Leister (1888-1955) in the early 1900s. After her husband's death Mrs. Wilt took in borders; mostly local workmen from surrounding industries. George and Mary's daughter Elizabeth (1912-99) lived her entire life in the house. She married James (Jimmy) Baumgardner (1911-80) who operated the restaurant next door in the Central Hotel.
Their son, Dr. George Baumgardner, inherited and kept the house in the family until 2017. Largely untouched since a renovation in the 1950s, the home was purchased in 2017 by Chris and Sharon Tillman for a bed & breakfast inn. Undergoing a complete renovation, including all new electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems, this beautifully kept and much-loved house will once again welcome guests, friends and family to Taneytown.
We are proud to be part of such a rich history -- the house, the town, the region -- and honor the legacy of all the past owners by naming the inn for all of the Georges. We welcome you to become a part of Georges on York's continuing story.